Currituck County, established in 1670, was one of the five original ports in North Carolina.
1895: Currituck Beach Lighthouse & Keepers House
Corolla and Currituck Beach Lighthouse are across the Currituck Sound, east of the mainland. Currituck Sound is shallow, 35 miles long and varies from four to 15 miles wide.
By the late 1800s Currituck, an Indian name for ''Land of the Wild Goose,'' was known as the premiere duck hunting region of the East Coast. Wealthy visitors discovered the enormous numbers of ducks and geese wintering on the Sound. Sportsmen from all over the United States came to hunt, either in guided parties or as members or guests of the many hunt clubs --including the legendary Whalehead Club.
Like it's soundside neighbor --Duck (Dare County)-- to the south, Corolla was a peaceful fishing village well into the late 1970s. At the extreme northern end of Highway 12, it has developed into one of the most uniquely secluded residential beach areas .
A BRIEF TIMELINE:
THE OUTER BANKS