Roanoke Island Festival Park
Jockey's Ridge State Park
- Go aboard the Elizabeth II & see what life was like for 16th century sailors.
- Experience the Adventure Museum with its interactive exhibits.
- Visit the Settlement Site to learn about life was like for early colonists.
- Check the online calendar for children's performances & concerts.
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
- Climb the tallest sand dune system east of the Mississippi & then roll down.
- Learn about wildlife in the park, wind, dunes & weather in the museum.
- Become a Jockey's Ridge Jr. Dune Ranger & earn a patch.
- Go to a free educational program with a park ranger & learn cool stuff.
The Lost Colony
- Get close up with stingrays, skates & starfish in the touch tank.
- See hundreds of fish of many different species in a 285,000-gallon aquarium.
- Watch sharks being fed.
- View playful otters in & out of the water.
Outer Banks Center For Wildlife Education
- See a live performance with singing, dancing & neat costumes.
- Watch some awesome combat scenes.
- Beware of lurking Indians.
- Attend special daytime performances for kids.
Chicamacomico Lifesaving Station
- View catfish, bass, bream & more in the 800-gallon freshwater aquarium.
- Experience the interactive exhibits about local history & waterfowl heritage.
- Participate in a free program to learn about nature & wildlife.
- See arrowheads & Indian artifacts & learn about those who made them.
Hatteras/ Ocracoke Ferry
- Learn about a notable part of American History & the brave men of the USLSS.
- Hear tales of shipwrecks & heroic rescues.
- Watch a beach apparatus demonstration with a breeches buoy & Lyle gun.
- Tour the 2 stations & outbuildings at the most complete USLSS site in the nation.
Visit a Lighthouse
- Ride a free ferry to an island accessible only by boat or plane.
- See what the Outer Banks look like from the water.
- Feed the seagulls, but only from the back of the ferry.
- Feel the sea breeze and smell the salt air.
Tour the Carova Beach 4-Wheel Drive Area north of Corolla
- Choose from Currituck Beach, Bodie Island, Cape Hatteras, Ocracoke or Roanoke Marshes.
- Climb to the top of Cape Hatteras or Currituck Beach in season.
- Learn about the fascinating history of these important aids to navigation.
Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and Pirates Cove Marina
- Ride up the beach in an area where there are no paved roads.
- Hear stories about the history & wildlife in the area.
- See awesome dunes, historic buildings & beautiful scenery.
- Look for the Wild Horses of Corolla, descendants of Spanish Mustangs.
- Meet the charter fleets as they come back from the Gulf Stream.
- Watch the mates unload the day's catch.
- See the fish that were landed – dolphin, tuna, wahoo and maybe a marlin.
- Be careful and stay away from the edge of the docks.